Spring Break at PES is the week of March 27 - 31. School resumes on Monday, April 3. I hope all families have a safe & peaceful break and get a chance to recharge.
The word “recharge” has multiple meanings. It could be a time to get away. It could be a time to rest and relax at home. It could be a time to visit with extended family. It could be a time where work gets super busy. It could be a time when childcare is difficult. Or, it could be a time where a combination of all the above are attempted. Regardless of your situation, good luck and have fun.
Here are just a few things happening over spring break related to PES:
- A staff member is getting married (well, one that I know about)
- New LED lighting will be installed in all classrooms
- A staff member is going on a delayed honeymoon
- Many Pleasantdale families are traveling (Ireland, Arizona, Florida, Wisconsin Dells, Moose Jaw)
|Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada|
If you need some Spring Break ideas, do a quick Google search and you will find hundreds, maybe thousands, of possibilities. Due to high school sport schedules and the life of a school administrator, the Vandercar family did many stay-cations over breaks. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Visit Lincoln Park Zoo - it is fun, free, and unique. If you want to make it an extra great day, before heading to the zoo, stop by Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders on Clark St. for a reservation. There is usually a wait and they do not take reservations, or even names. The guy at the entrance remembers faces and keeps everyone in mental order. It feels similar to the soup kitchen episode on Seinfeld. Anyway, he will be able to tell you exactly how long you have to visit the zoo. This is quite a unique experience and some great food. Oh, one more thing I learned the hard way - cash only.
- Have a family book club - I recommend Poppy by Avi or Redwall by Brian Jacques. The Vandercars eventually read all 21 books in the Redwall series.
- Hit the Tivoli - Old time atmosphere; good movies; all you can eat popcorn.
- Visit the pet shop - especially the puppy area.
|On a beach with a puppy - what a great spring break.|
- Family home video night - bring out those old home movies and have dinner around the tv.
- Chicago Bulls - this may be the best year in quite some time to get some tickets. Unfortunately, there have been plenty of extra seats lately.
- Navy Pier - the atmosphere is so vacation-like. It is fun to just walk around, eat outside, and people watch. Fireworks start on Memorial Day.
- Camp in the backyard - We liked to try the “cook out with no waste” method at times. Hot dogs or burgers on buns, pre-cut veggies, bag of chips, etc. with no plates, napkins, or utensils. It’s fun and the clean up is easy.
- Get out Chicago Cubs clothing. This activity will be a little different this year.
Have a great Spring Break everyone!